Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Can't Believe I'm Even Saying This!

I'm going to start running. Yes, the actual movement of the feet faster than the normal shuffle. The thing where you put shoes on (shoes that aren't flip flops), go outside in gym-type clothing (God forbid it be spandex because that would certainly cause traffic accidents) and actually...run.

I'm not sure exactly what has prompted this. It's a combination of things really. One, I'm fat. Two, I'm tired of being fat. Three, I am in search of the runner's high. Four, there's a boy that I know that runs and I want to run with him. (Not after him, but with him...well, maybe after him) Anyway, I really want to do this and the only thing stopping me from doing this is me. Me and the fact that I've never run in my life. I've done the thing in elementary school where you had to run a mile in 12 minutes but that was in elementary school...a hundred years ago.

So, I googled mini marathons and there just happens to be one in Louisville on April 26, 2008. The Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon. I am SO not doing the full marathon!! Only the mini! I'm crazy, but not that crazy. 13.1 miles is plenty crazy! And I have to pay $35 do it. I'm assuming that $35 goes to some amazing charity but still! I have to pay to torture myself. Ugghh!

I'm going to look at this as an adventure. Something I've never done and always wanted to do. Ok...what I've wanted to do for the last 2 weeks.

Part of the preparation for this silly thing is that I have to tell people what I'm doing. Accountability, you see. How embarrassing will it be if I tell everyone I'm doing this and then don't follow through with it?? Pretty embarrassing.

My family reunion was this past weekend and I told everyone there. No one actually laughed in my face...close, but they didn't. Meg snickered. I'm sure they all think I'm nuts and that I won't do it. Just you watch!
This is a picture of me with Sarah on my lap. She's eating fruit and I'm scarfing down fried chicken. That's the last fried chicken for 8 months. I'm going to try to be really good through all of this and drink my water and watch what I'm eating.
I've been reading this book about how non-runners should train for a marathon. The woman who wrote the book didn't lose a single pound in her hundreds of training miles. Not one! That is not my intention at all. I'm planning on losing about 25# through my adventure.
If anyone has any advice for me please feel free to share.
Thanks and I'll keep ya posted!

No comments: